McCaw is recognized as one of the leading nature and wildlife
photographers in Canada and the United States. His images have appeared
on the covers of more than 400 publications and have illustrated
numerous books, calendars, notecards, puzzles and magazines – Audubon,
Bird Watching, Birdwatcher's Digest, Bruce Trail, Canadian Geographic, Canadian
Wildlife, Cottage Life, Ducks Unlimited, Firefly, In The Hills, National Geographic,
Natural History, On Nature, Science, Sierra Club, Stokes
Nature Guides, Wildbird, to name but a few.
His collection of 500,000 images includes everything from
Butterflies to Moose,
Birds to Bears and
Frogs to Wildflowers.
"If it flowers, flies, swims,
walks or crawls, I'm interested", he says.
- 2013 - A photo of an "AMERICAN BULLFROG" appears on the cover of "CANADIAN GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE" - April Issue, 2013.
- 2013 - STAMPS for CANADA POST - Following the issuing of two stamps in a series on BABY WILDLIFE last year, (see 2012 below), two photos are again featured for 2013. "FOUR BABY WOODCHUCKS" are on the regular everyday stamp and a "BABY PORCUPINE" appears on a stamp valued at $1.10, Both were issued on January 14, 2013.
- 2012 - 10 photos of Birds included in a new book "POCKET GUIDE to BIRDS of NORTH AMERICA" published by the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SOCIETY, Washington,D.C.
- 2012 - The America magazine "BIRDWATCHING" used a BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE photo on the COVER of their February 2012 Issue.
- 2012 - Exclusive photographer for two calendars "BIRDS-2012", WILDLIFE 2012" published by Canadian Geographic/Wyman Publishing for distribution in Canada and the United States.
- 2012 - Provided the COVER IMAGE of a Ferruginous Hawk and 171 INTERIOR IMAGES for a new Petersen Field Guide entitled "The YOUNG BIRDER'S GUIDE to BIRDS of NORTH AMERICA" published by Houghton Mifflin in Boston, USA.
- 2012 - CANADA POST selected five images for use in a series of STAMPS depicting BABY WILDLIFE. The first two of these were introduced on January 16th, 2012. A photo of "THREE BABY RACCOONS" is featured on the regular everyday stamp and is in wide distibution. The second stamp shows a "COMMON LOON with CHICKS" and has a value of $1.29 to be used for mailing larger packages.The other stamps will be introduced in 2013 and 2014.
- 2011 - Cover image of "NORTHERN CARDINAL" on Audubon's Wall Calendar "Birds 2011" published in New York.
2011 - Exclusive photographer for two calendars "BIRDS-2011", WILDLIFE 2011" published by Canadian Geographic/Wyman Publishing for distribution in Canada and the United States.
- 2010 - Exclusive photographer for three calendars "BIRDS-2011", "LOONS 2011" and"WILDLIFE-2011" published by Canadian Geographic/Wyman Publishing for distribution in Canada and the United States.
- 2009 - Firefly Books (www.fireflybooks.com) of Toronto published a photographic book of my Bird photographs for young adults entitled "BIRDS A to Z".
Text by Chris Earley.
- 2009 - Exclusive photographer for two calendars "BIRDS-2010" and "WILDLIFE-2010" published by Canadian Geographic and Wyman Publishing for distribution in Canada and the United States.
- 2008 - Major photographer for a Petersen Field Guide entitled "The Young Birder's Guide to Birds of Eastern North America" - a book by Bill Thompson III for young bird watchers and published by Houghton-Mifflin, Boston.
- 2008 - Exclusive photographer for a Petersen Field Guide entitled "FINDING YOUR WINGS" - a book for beginning bird watchers published by Houghton-Mifflin, Boston.
- 2007 - Cover photo of a Baltimore Oriole on AUDUBON'S PAGE-A-DAY BIRD CALENDAR published in New York.
- 2004 – Received an honourable mention at the
Canadian Magazine Awards for photographs of "Camouflage in Nature" in
an article appearing in COTTAGE LIFE magazine.
- 2003 - featured photographer in the autumn issue of
CANADIAN WILDLIFE Magazine.
- 2002 - Received an honourable mention at the
Canadian Magazine Awards for photographs of "Dragonflies" in an article
appearing in SEASONS magazine.
- 1997 - Featured as one of 10 world class
photographers in an OUTDOOR CANADA Magazine article.
- 1995 - Featured photographer in the June issue of
PHOTO DIGEST magazine.
- 1993 - The Roger Tory Petersen Institute in
Jamestown, New York, selected a Sierra Club calendar photograph of
Michigan Lilies as First Place in North America for the category
"Summer" from a selection of photographs taken from major North
- 1989 – A collection of prints appeared at the
Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa as part of a celebration of 150
years of photography in Canada.
- 1986 – A selection of prints travelled Canada as
part of a fine art show "The Best of Birds" sponsored by the Canadian
Museum of Nature
Changed to digital photography in February, 2005.
Canon EOS 7D Two Bodies
Canon EOS 1DsMark 111
Canon 500mm F4 L IS
Canon 180mm F3.5 Macro
Canon EF 2X ll
Canon EF 1.4X ll
Canon 17-40mm F4 L
Canon 24-105mm F4 IS USM
Canon 70-300mm F4.-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF25 ll
Canon EF25 ll
Canon Remote Release RS-80N3
Canon 580EX Flash
B+W Polarizing Filters
Lee Neutral Density Hard and Soft Edge # 9 Filters
Gitzo 1548 Tripod with Studioball Head
Gitzo 3541 LS Tripod with Arca-Swiss Z1 Monoball Head